What about all of those “no-no” ingredients I keep reading about?
September 4, 2021
Ingredients and those ingredient lists on packaging can be so overwhelming to comb through. We promise we never formulate with silicones, sulfates (the harsh ones known as SLS and SLES), parabens, phthalates, or gluten.
Allow us to break each one down so you know why we don’t use them:
- Silicones: Yes, we love the feel of silkiness when our hair is coated with these lightweight, synthetic, petroleum-derived polymers but they can build up and clog the hair cuticle. This prevents our hair from absorbing the right ingredients that can make it look healthier and potentially cause breakage.
- Sulfates: We’re specifically talking about the harsh sulfates - SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and SLES (sodium laureth sulfate). These synthetic surfactants dissolve dirt and oil but at a high cost. They fade color faster, dull shine, and strip hair of natural oils causing dry and breakage-prone strands.
- Parabens: To prevent the growth of bacteria and mold and prolong shelf life, these preservatives are mixed into many haircare formulas. They are not only easily absorbed through the scalp and cause scalp itch, color fade, and strand dehydration, but they also affect our planet. Trace amounts of preservatives left inside empty cosmetic bottles can end up in our waterways and therefore impact unsuspecting wildlife.
- Phthalates: These chemicals are used to stabilize synthetic fragrances. Our fragrance is naturally-derived and vegan, so we don’t need to include them in our formulations.
- Gluten: We exclude gluten, a protein that is found naturally in wheat, barley, and rye, because it can impact the health of people who suffer from a variety of gluten-related disorders.